Around 20 members of the Gorleston-on-Sea Heritage Group and several others gathered in Gorleston High Street outside the newly opened William Adams public house on Tuesday the 13th March 2018. They were assembled to witness the unveiling of a blue plaque by the Mayor of Great Yarmouth, Kerry Robinson Payne, to commemorate the Methodist Chapel that had previously occupied the site.
GoSH chairman Les Cockrill gave a brief talk and told the group that a chapel was opened on the site in 1807 and was the first purpose built Methodist chapel in Gorleston. By 1843 the chapel had been replaced by the larger Wesleyan Methodist High Street Chapel. In 1873 it became the United Methodist Free Church when several factions of the movement Methodism came together.
Around 1881 the building was sometimes referred to as the Temperance Hall or the Templer's' Hall having become the base of the Star of Gorleston Lodge of Good Templers. Within a few years it was again referred to a the Free Church chapel although the Star of Gorleston Lodge of Good Templer's still held some activities there.
The United Methodist Church was formed in 1907. The chapel was damaged by bombing during the Second World War and was officially closed in 1948. The property was sold in 1959 to fund the building of a new Methodist Church on the Magdalen Estate and was partly demolished. The site then became George Porter's motorcycle shop and workshop and later GT Motors. A fragment of the chapel remained as part of the wall of the workshop until 2017 when the whole site was cleared to build the William Adams public house.
The list of tags is empty.